wayback wednesday - go ask alice

wayback wednesday title



In Grade 7 I was fortunate enough to have a truly inspiring English teacher. Mr Capstick not only had a wicked name but he was also the authority on captivating books to read. Through him I was introduced to the published diary of a girl that falls prey to the groovy drug culture of the 1960s. The book, Go Ask Alice blew my 12 year old mind to say the least, there is something about tragic stories that intrigues me to no end even to this day.

Last year when I was residing in London, I was all for cheap thrills and a Hackney Library Card was free. As I revisited my past through a long list of old reads, Go Ask Alice was among the reread books. Never having questioned whether it was factual or not, one boring day in Londontown I decided to read up on it. According to the wikipedia page, the authenticity of the book has been questioned and has been listed as a work of fiction for a number of decades. SIGH. Which brings me to the one glorious part of this inquiry - I also discovered in 1973 there was an ABC Movie of the Week based on this book!

Although this movie has a lot to be desired filming wise, the far out styles and clothing make up for it all. On a side note, two characters from American Graffiti were also in this seedy made for TV movie both playing the part of 'turned on' drugged out kids. Hmmm.

Without further adieu.... the happening fashions from the film Go Ask Alice

alice1
alice4
A groovy opening.

alice5
alice6
alice7
Squaresville Alice with her only friend Beth. The mustard mini skirt/pattern shirt combo is my favourite. If you actually watch the movie you'll notice the blouse is patterned with bizarro looking dancing elephants. Incredible. Beth leaves for summer camp and it isn't long before Alice is running with the hip crowd.

alice8
alice10
alice12
Overnight transformation into the no shoe wearing hippie chick seen above once befriending the wild and skinny Chris. Back to school, Alice and Beth have nothing left in common; Chris and her begin to look one in the same.

alice13
alice14
alice15
Teenage runaways in matching floppy hats and oversized denim shirts (how on trend!) Followed by destitute bag lady chic. Do I sense an allegory for drug use?

alice16
And back to being square upon returning home from the major jag.

If this has at all piqued your interest, the movie can be watched on youtube!
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
As with most films based on books, they cut out a lot of parts and used artistic license for some of the unsavoury bits. My feelings are the same as The Runaways movie I posted on last year, better to read the book for the full story. 

white rabbit - jefferson airplane
(theme song for Go Ask Alice - this music video is pretty incredible)

x Miss Sandy

TwitterBloglovin'Facebook



Labels: , , , , ,